We'll make sure to have time for open floor tonight in addition to the agenda items around organizing for the election.
Anybody have items they'd like discussed in the open floor portion tonight?
Thanks for the great meeting everybody. Please jump in to add/clarify/etc. This is also cross-posted at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHCC_Steering/
attendees: roberta, michael, james, ryan, charlette, amanda, daniel, marlow, saunatina, andrew, adrian, justin, dennis
1. We agreed to move forward with the existing plan for June 5th election with current slate of candidates.
2. Andrew and past officers will preside over June 5th election process.
3. Election night will include candidates session with 5 minutes for candidate presentation and 5 minutes for questions.
4. Voting will begin at 6:30p and will continue through the end of the meeting at 8:00p.
5. Outreach and promotion to get the word out is key — see the Planning discussion notes for who is doing what to make June 5th a successful evening.
Candidate deadline discussion
Candidate review and exclusion discussion
Updated election schedule discussion
Logistics and planning
Michael's arts effort on Broadway
SNAP grant update
* Voted NO to extend candidate deadline
* Voted NO to review current candidate roster and exclude any existing candidates
* See Notes below for discussion summary
Andrew — outreach has been good. CHT is a great outlet. Existing bylaws don't stipulate when election should be.
Charlette — Outreach too internet focused. There are other community councils that have bylaws.
Ryan — we are re-starting an org. we don't have elected officials. we need to work out the kinks.
adrian — everybody needs a rusty start
Candidate exclusion discussion
Ryan — if people see conflict they won't elect him. we don't need to make a controversy.
daniel — let the voters decide. any candidate has a potential conflict of interest. The key is to give the voters informed consent.
Saunatina — I'm hesitant to deny anybody the opportunity to run. It's not up to board.
Charlette — It is reflective of us in reviewing candidates as being a possible conflict of interest.
If we elect somebody who will have to dismiss himself for 2/3 of the issues. It will cripple us to have him in any office capacity.
Andrew — the bylaws have a good section on recall of an officer. I would suggest that first business of bylaw committee would be setting a fall election.
Adrian — I would look at him as my fellow resident.
Election Planning Discussion
* Voting will follow plan documented here: election_plan.pdf in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CHCC_Steering/files/
* Forum is optional for candidates.
* Voting will open at beginning of meeting at 6:30p so people can drop in and vote if they don't have time to stay through entire meeting.
Outreach and promotion owners
* Charlette — volunteered to arrange for donated food for election night attendees
* Daniel — owns coordinating communications plan. Will reach out to CHT, Stranger, Weekly, SGN, and talk to Akira about poster
* James — will own getting portion of posters printed and will work with others to distribute
* Justin — will promote via Facebook CHCC Group , CHS blog, will outreach to other Cap Hill blogs. Also organizing informal meet the candidates night at Smith on Wednesday 5/14 at 6:30p and a candidates table at Broadway farmers market on May 25th (tentative!).
* Andrew will send announcement to Capitol Hill newsgroup
* Marlow — Will reach out to St. Joe's newsletter and talk to CHAC about opening the downstairs bar (we'll be upstairs)
* Anything i missed?
Thanks Justin and all.
One minor request on flyers, if Akira is willing: Would it be possible to format full-page and also quarter-page versions (four layouts per page)? I will print the full pages for posting around town and cut up the quarter-page versions for placement with postcard-type advertisement on counters in shops, cafes, etc. Get the word out on the fewest trees…
Let me know if you need a hand. My layouts will look like business memos though — not appealing!
Hi James, Great idea. Akira has already agreed to make the flyer so I will ask him to make a quarter page version as well. He is just waiting for me to draft the announcement text, which I will complete this weekend. We will have flyers available next week.