September 18, 2008
Welcome and Introduction
Current Balance: $2143.35
PO Box was set up by Hong Chhuor. He was reimbursed $72.
PO Box 20641
Seattle, Wa 98102
Bank of America reversed the fees on the account and no new fees were charged.
Perfect Copy and Print account was set up for officers use. $500 copy limit.
Paypal account is active. There is a button for donation on the CHCC website. Notes can be attached to donations specifying what project donation should fund.
Technology: Justin Carder
There is an issue with website address- 'www' must be typed in to access site, this will be looked at.
Address is: www.captiolhillcommunitycouncil.org
Wiki-dot site, council website host, is a community gathering space. It has a lot of potential. Great place for differing interests to come together.
Bylaws: Becki Frestedt
Me twice in person and discussed ideas for improving current bylaws.
Some issues discussed: dissolution clause, expanding number of council officers.
Gathered bylaws from other councils as models.
Looking at outside resources: U of Kansas and U of Ohio have community resource guides.
Attorneys will review for legal compliance.
Will talk to Ann Donovan, past council president, about last time bylaws were revised in 2000.
A plea for involvement- if anyone would like to participate please contact Becki Frestedt. This group will set the foundation for the council for the future.
Arts and Events: Saunatina Sanchez (for Charlette Lefever)
Sidewalk Chalk contest had to be cancelled for logistics.
Halloween Event going forward. Procession of the Spirits along Broadway, starting at SCCC and ending at Cal Anderson Park. Details about event will be available by next council meeting. Kay Rood of the Cal Anderson Alliance is in support of the event.
Charlette is drafting a sponsorship letter to local businesses to support the event.
Charlette is also working on a flyer for the logo contest. The contest is active and taking submissions. The award for the new CHCC logo will be $100.
Open Space: Saunatina Sanchez (for Jennifer Power)
Park(ing) Day is all set up and ready to go. The CHCC Park(ing) Day spot is in front of the Vivace coffee cart at 321 Broadway Ave E. It will be set up from 9am-5:30pm and will an outreach opportunity for the John and Summit Park, and a way to get some donations.
Unpaving Paradise (the Friends of John and Summit Park group) will also be holding charity nights through the month of October at Cafe Metropolitan. Every Sunday night all the proceeds from Gay Drag Bingo will go to the John and Summit Park.
Jennifer is working on a letter of support to local businesses and they should be ready to send out soon.
Unpaving Paradise is applying for a Neighborhood Matching Grant for the Park.
During the month of September the Neighborhood Matching Fund has been hosting parties to celebrate 10 years of the program. On October 11th there will be a big closing party at Town Hall, a great chance to meet people in the program.
Outreach committee proposal will be postponed because Renee Fentres couldn't make it.
Tree Heritage Tree proposal will be postponed because of a lack of information this month.
Agenda Change: Light Rail Discussion:
Sound Transit hosted a walking tour of the sites that will soon be the Capitol Hill Station of the Link Light Rail.
All the private lots will be eliminated permanently. A few stalls on Denny Way will be closed during construction.
There will be 3 station entrances, taking up about 1/2 of the surface area. The rest will be available for transit oriented development.
These developments will take shape in later planning phases.
Cap. Hill Chamber of Commerce has been involved. It would be a good thing of CHCC to become involved in planning talks. Chamber has a committee to deal with ST. It's important for community to drive process.
It will be ST's RFP (Request for Proposal- what will be acceptable from developers), but they do want to work closely with the community.
Space for community input of RFP?
There will be community forums.
Community can demand input by putting pressure on ST.
Letters from CHCC with community support are important.
Want the development to be focused on Pedestrian, not auto. Interconnections with bus system is important.
There will be 2 contracts. Demolition and Remediation are in front of the ST Board right now. Anticipate approval in November. There will be lots of paperwork to finish before demolition begins. Expect demolition starting in January '09. Construction trailers will go in at the old Chang's parking lot.
During demolition there will be a chain link fence. During excavation a 8'-12' plywood fence will go up around main site. Placement will be determined by excavation.
Spraypaint Proposal: Justin Carder
Proposal before the council: Ask local business to either stop carrying spray paint or move them behind counters to make access harder.
Goal: Multi-faceted strategy around graffiti abatement.
Becki:Proposal includes large felt tip markers. Amend to distinguish between permanent and non-permanent?
Hong: How do we sell this proposal to art supply stores?
Justin: Not aware of Utrect selling spraypaint.
Hong: Can we get a list of other business that would sign off on this?
Justin: Good idea as project grows.
Hong: Managers will look at it more seriously if police sign on.
Cathy: What about a joint letter with the Cap. Hill Chamber?
Justin: Don't think it's a good idea to work with Chamber as it's difficult to compromise with them.
Ryan: Not in favor of proposal. Vandalism sucks, but stores wouldn't sell the stuff if people didn't buy it. In favor of restricting access, not promoting banning.
Debbie: Should get E. Precinct and other businesses to support. Go to Chamber, otherwise the letter isn't very strong.
Dizzy: Get some neutral support.
Justin: Will try to get E. Precinct and Chamber to support, but will send out even if we can't get more sign-on.
Debbie: This is an important issue, but without engagement with community it weakens the effort.
Question is called.
Proposal motioned by Justin Carder, seconded by Brad Kevelin.
2 For, 8 Against. Motion Fails.
Hong Chhuor moves to revisit issue with broader support in the future.
Pike/Pine Parking Presentation: Alison Schwartz and Mary Catherine Snyder from Seattle DOT
Materials under discussion can be found at the following addresses:
Saunatina: What about moving some buses along Pike?
SDOT:Since all buses on the hill are Trolley, it would be expensive infrastructure.
Brad: Why can't guest passes be used by residents without cars?
SDOT: That was actually the intention of the guest pass. Program will have to be reviewed.
Brad: What about drawing in lines for each street parking spot?
SDOT: Painting in lines for every street in Seattle is unfeasible. It also would probably make streets loose spots when 7 cars can fit into 5 painted lines. It's best for residents to use space most efficiently as they see it. Parking lines don't even need to be regarded. City has stopped painting in lines where the new electronic meters have gone it.
Hong: Can we make some areas exempt for residents?
SDOT: We are trying to put in combo RPZ/paid areas.
Hong: Is there an effort to get rid of abandoned cars?
SDOT: Abandoned cars are only examined on a complaint basis. Not enough staff to deal with issue.
Parking in Pike/Pine is 74% full throughout the day, and 90% full at night. SDOT wants to see how best to regulate parking to get these numbers down. Contact Allison Schwartz at vog.elttaes|ztrawhcs.nosilla#vog.elttaes|ztrawhcs.nosilla with comments on Pike/Pine parking suggestions, comments, and questions.+
For RPZ policy review comments, contact Mary Catherine Snyder at vog.elttaes|redyns.enirehtacyram#vog.elttaes|redyns.enirehtacyram - comment period is open until October 20th.+
Bob Corwin: N. Cap. Hill Resident/Pedestrian Access Activist
The state is currently burying reports about the SR520 Bridge Replacement Project dealing with a 4-lane option. The state is pushing for a 6-lane option that may be illegal due to environmental concerns. The community needs to move on this project because scoping will be finished by the end of the year, and then it may be too late to make a change. Most important impact can be made in the next few months.
For more information please contact moc.loa|niwrocb#moc.loa|niwrocb
Kate Stinebuck: Capitol Hill Housing
There is an ongoing initiative on 12th Ave from John St to Yesler Way, focusing on pedestrian use. Working with Seattle U and juvenile detention facilities to study area. Urging E. Precinct to allow parking lot at 12th and Pine* to be developed into affordable housing.
The city has pulled together an advisory committee for a Cultural Overlay District relating to the Hill. Two meetings at The Elysian: Friday Sep. 19th at 4pm, Monday Sep. 22nd at 5:30pm.
Has information about Chico bags- reusable grocery bags- that can be marked with the CHCC logo and given out or sold to promote the Council. Chico bags do give discounts for fundraising. Information passed to secretary.
Working with the city to find a dedicated community space and a permanent home for CHCC meetings. Trying to get the Cal Anderson Shelter house permanently, but will probably be back at SCCC for October meeting.
*Minutes Edited 9/25: Changed location from 12th and John to 12th and Pine.
+Minutes Edited 10/2: Changed wording from "SDOT wants to see how best to regulate parking to get the use on Pike/Pine at night down from 90% usage. Comment period is open until October 20th. Comments can be directed to Mary Catherine Snyder." per request from Allison Schwartz.
Justin Carder- President
Saunatina Sanchez- Secretary
Hong Chhuor- Treasurer
Mike (Dizzy) Ruatz
Mary Catherine Snyder